The Metro High School Athletic Association

Date: Monday March 31st 2014,

Time: 7:00 p.m.

Location: Halifax West

http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/mhsaa/

Attendance:

 

Tamara Muise

ES

Scott Pellerine

SJA

Jill Jeffrey

SHS

Kelly MacDonald

DART

Tim McGarrigle

HGS

Susan Beazley

Armbrae

Steve Harris

CIT

Steve Wilcox

Lockview

Adam White

Mill

Trevor Doyle

NSSAF

David Algee

JL Ilsley

Roy Snook

HW

Ray Robertson

CPA

Jared Griffiths

SH

Jordan Lewis

HCA

Patrick Hatfield

CHDHS

Erica Ans

AUB

Donna Duggan

HW

Jean-Franacois Valade

CARR

 

 

 

 

Sends regrets: 

 

Guy Fortin

SOMM

Annette Sherlock

SH

Craig Janc

Shambhala

Bob Mayo

PA

Peter Moores

Fountain

 

 

 

                                                                                                       

1.  OPENING

The meeting opened at 7: 13pm.

 

2.  INTRODUCTIONS: Meeting was chaired by Donna Duggan.

We discussed the process of changing the constitution. An item that states that the appeals committee has 72 hours to make a ruling is correct. We need to change or amend this item to state that the 72 hours starts when the committee has all of the information. A motion will be presented at the next meeting.                        

 

3.    APPROVAL OF MINUTES for February 2014.    

Moved:  Sue Beazley

Seconded: Steve Wilcox                                        Approved

 

 

4.  FINANCIAL REPORT

Chequing Account: $24150.94

Shares:        $360.37

Plan 24:      $20.33

Equity:        $10.00

5.CORRESPONDENCE

New Metro Executive and District Coordinator Positions.

 

Donna's District Coordinator term is up. If anyone is interested in taking this position please let someone on the executive know. Donna has already been extended for the district coordinator. Post meeting: Sue Beazley accepted the postition.

 

Trevor's Regional Director term is also up. He can be extended one more year. If anyone is interested please let someone on the executive know.

 

6. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

 

Motion of four officials for MHSHL – implement in fall of 2014 – Vote.

 

8 for, 0 against, 9 abstain.              Motion Passed.

 

7. REGIONAL DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Trevor Doyle

Workshop proposals need to be in to Trevor this weekend.  Discussed the JV proposal for basketball which will be Regional play downs like the division one teams. This will move the end date forward, and possibly add more expenses on to JV teams when they need to play qualifiers to go to Provincials. Discussed the division two schools who are at the bottom in terms of numbers being able to go down to division two provincials after playing a season in division one. Thanks to Sackville High for hosting Provincial badminton.

 

8. COORDINATOR’S REPORTS

a. Boys Hockey -HW: Roy Snook/Frank Hubley

SJA hosted provincials all went well CPA defeated Lockview.

b. Girls Hockey- JLI: David Algee

Dave passed out year-end information to all in attendance. He talked about the lack of involvement from school personnel. The outside coaches don't see how things work in the school. Dave feels that they wanted to play too many games. He is proposing to shorten the season to 18 games. Hopes to have 12 teams back next year.

 

c. Field Hockey– SJA – Scott Pellerine/Sue McMaster

Going well. Any schools who did not pay please do so.

 

d. Skiing – CH– Pat Hatfield

Jr. High being included worked out well. Went well this year

 

e. Snowboarding – CIT – Steve Harris

Everything went well. Zeno and Dan ran it.

 

f. Badminton – City -  Donna Duggan

All went well. Thanks to all schools that helped out.  Peter Gallagher Fairview, Debbie MacDonald PA, Kevin Julien and Jack Hutchison JLI. Schools are reminded to pay their fees.

 

g. Badminton –  County – LOCK – Steve Wilcox  

All went well.  Thanks to SHS for their gym use. Results will be sent soon.

 

h. Boys Rugby - CH - Steve Lennihan

All fees include referees.

 

i. Girls Rugby - SJA  - Lindsay Hilton/Scott Pellerine

A referee bill may be sent out before the season starts.

 

j. Curling - Roy Snook/Scott Pellerine - HW/ SJA - AG McRae and Melina MacNeil

All went well.

 

k. Box Lacrosse - LOCK – Steve Wilcox

Next week. Schedule was sent out. He may need help on Thursday or Friday evening, let Steve know if you can help out. 5 to 8 at the bubble in Bedford.

 

l. Field Lacrosse – SJA – Scott Pellerine/ Brendon Smithson

Coaches meeting April 2nd at CPA. Hoping to start around 27th of April.

 

m. Track and Field – City – HW – Donna Duggan

Dates have been sent out. May 20th & 21st at Beazley Field. Jason Murphy is on parental leave this year. We will need help. May 19th and 27th we need help to set up so please talk to your coaches about this.

 

n. Track and Field - County – CPA – Ray Robertson

Dates: May 22nd & 23rd at Beazley Field.

 

o. Cheerleading – AUB – Erica Ans

Only team is Auburn. They will be going to the Valley on April 16th.

 

p. Table Tennis – AUB – Erica Ans

Date has been changed to April 25th. All info has been sent out.

q. Softball Girls/Boys - MILL – Adam White

Information will be sent to the schools soon. Trying to work around the track dates.

 

8. NEW BUSINESS

The assignor fee for soccer will be going up but there will only be one fee paid at the beginning of the season. Four Soccer Provincials are hosted here next year. Roy will book all fields for this.

 

Sue reminded us of the Nancy Torkaryk Scholarship Golf Tournament at Lost Creek on June 27th. The fee is $100 which covers golf, food and cart.  

 

Basketball schools may be getting an email from Paul about referee fees to be paid.  

 

9. Meeting Adjourned at 8:20pm.

Moved: Erica Ans

Seconded:  Roy Snook

 

Next meeting will be Monday April 28th at Halifax West 7pm.

 

If you have anything you wish to add to the agenda, please contact Donna Duggan or Scott Pellerine one week prior to the next meeting.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Scott Pellerine

Secretary