The Metro High School Athletic Association

Date: Tuesday June 23rd, 2015.

Time: 1:00 p.m.

Location: Scott Pellerines House

http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/mhsaa

 

Attendance:

Tamara Muise

ES

Scott Pellerine

SJA

Donna Duggan

METRO

Bob Mayo

PA

Jill Jeffrey

SHS

Peter Haley

DART

Tim McGarrigle

HGS

Susan Beazley

ARM

Annette Sherlock

SH

Steve Wilcox

LOCK

Patrick Hatfield

CHDHS

Trevor Doyle

NSSAF

David Algee

JLI

Mike Smeltzer

HW

Ray Robertson

CPA

Jodi Joudrey

CPA

Jordan Murphy

CIT

 

 

 

 

Sends regrets: 

 

Adam White

MILL

Jean-Franacois Valade

CARR

Jordan Lewis

HCA

 Craig Janc

SHAM

Erica Ans

AUB

Jason Scott

FOUNT

Jared Griffiths

SH

Guy Fortin

SOMM

Steve Harris

CIT

 

 

 

 

                                                                           

1.  OPENING

The meeting opened at 1:42pm.

 

 

2. INTRODUCTIONS:

Meeting was chaired by Donna Duggan. Introductions were made.

 

 

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES for April, 2015.   

Moved: Steve W.           

Seconded: Trevor D.                           Approved

 

 

4.  FINANCIAL REPORT

The Chair, Donna Duggan reported the following financial information. A financial breakdown of the year was submitted.

 

Trevor asked for the breakdown for individual sports and how much money goes to Metro from that. Donna thought it was close to three thousand and the other money is tied up in individual sports. Ray R. asked about the possibility of bringing the fee back up to $150 from $100.

 

Motion:

 

To increase the fees to $150 from $100.

 

Moved:  Ray Robertson

Seconded: Tim McGarrigle. 

 

5. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

None

 

 

6. REGIONAL DIRECTORS REPORT

 

Trevor gave his final report after six years as Regional Director .

Remember that registration is due for next year by June 30th.

I feel very fortunate for our zone when I compare it to the rest of the province, how well it is run by the members of this group. I appreciated the integrity that our members use throughout our spots, the most offered in the country, and all are done extremely well. We may need to think about the amount of sports offered over the years ahead and how we can keep them all going so well. I really enjoyed my time as Regional Director and I wish all of you the best of luck, and good luck to Donna as the new Regional Director.

 

 

 

 

7. NEW BUSINESS:

Jill was wondering about the soccer for at for the girls league? Is it going to be the same as the boys league? Donna will talk to Roy about that.

 

There is a Boys and Girls Soccer meeting Thursday September 3rd at Halifax West 7pm. Please email no play dates to Roy Snook by June 30th for both boys and girls teams.

 

Jill mentioned a new format for volleyball next year as well to have the league tiered. Jill will send out information to volleyball coaches on the tiering tournament.

 

 

8. COORDINATORS REPORTS

 

a. Boys Rugby - CH - Steve Lennihan/ Pat Hatfield

Pat sent out in an email today. All went well. Tie breaking procedure will be revisited next year. Steve would like to increase the officials to two next year from one now.

 

Sackville would like clarification on the playoff format before the season begins, and not during the season. Jill recommended as well that all updates on the standings should be given out to all ADs on a weekly basis. According to our regulations ADs need to be updated on any league information. Donna will send out these regulations from Metro.

 

b. Girls Rugby - SJA Lindsay Hilton/ Scott Pellerine

All went well; Lindsay will be stepping down from the coordinator role next year. She recommends leaving the league format the same for next season with two divisions. The quality of play has increased across the league over the past few years, it was nice to see.

 

c. Track and Field City - HW - Donna Duggan

All information was sent out. Thanks to everyone for all of their help especially Jason Murphy. Steve suggested that some coaching should be done for our volunteers who need to run an event. Should our leadership students be more involved in the running the events? Are we able to get more consistency with people who are running an event?

 

d. Track and Field County C.P.A. Ray Robertson

Concern was raised about a track coach from Millwood registering a student from Lockview, without that school knowing that he was registered in the event. It was suggested that the Principals of each school discuss this issue. This should not be able to happen through our Trackie program.

 

e. Softball MILL Adam White

Not present. Dave Algee gave a verbal report.

 

f. Field Lacrosse SJA - Brendon Smithson/ Scott Pellerine

No report given. Dave mentioned that Brendon should consider the softball schedule as well when doing playoffs schedule.

 

Scott will send out an update to all AD's when he gets one.

 

 

 

Coordinators List for 2015-2016 was completed and will be sent at a later date.

We are still in need of a few Coordinators. Please talk to your school staff.

Badminton

Boys Basketball

Boys B Basketball

Girls Basketball (Dartmouth?)

Girls Rugby

 

 

Adjournment

Meeting Adjourned at 3pm

 

Moved:   Sue B

Seconded:    Trevor D

 

 

Next meeting is Tuesday September 8th at Halifax West 7pm. Talk to your schools about coordinators.   Sue handed out cards to all outgoing ADs.

 

If you have anything you wish to add to the agenda, please contact Donna Duggan or Scott Pellerine one week prior to the next meeting.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

Scott Pellerine

 

Secretary