The Metro High School Athletic Association

Date: Monday February 29th 2016

Time: 7:00 p.m.

Location: Halifax West

http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/mhsaa/

 

Attendance:

Amanda LeBlanc

CHDHS

Scott Pellerine

SJA

David Algee

JLI

Erica Ens

AUB

Shane Joseph

HGS

Susan Beazley

ARM

Steve Wilcox

LVH

Jodi Joudrey

CPA

Jason Scott

FOUNT

Jean Francois Valade

CARR

Jordan Murphy

CIT

Bob Mayo

PA

Annette Sherlock

SH

Donna Duggan

NSSAF

 

 

Mike Smeltzer

HWHS

 

 

Sends Regrets:      

Craig Janc

SHAM

Guy Fortin

SOMM

Jill Jeffrey

SHS

Adam White

MW

Anton Berry

DART

Sean Kent

ES

 

                                                   

1.  OPENING

The meeting opened at  7:08 p.m.

 

2.        INTRODUCTIONS:

Introductions were made and the meeting was chaired by Sue Beazley.

 

3.        APPROVAL OF MINUTES for January, 2016

           

Moved:            Steve W.                       

Seconded:       Anette S.          

 

Approved

 

4.  FINANCIAL REPORT

 

The Chair, Susan Beazley reported the following financial information:

           

                                Shares: $360.30

                                    Plan 24: $20.38

                                    Cheque: $16 537.39

 

5. CORRESPONDENCE:

None

 

6. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:

None

 

 

Indoor Field Hockey Vote:

 

Field hockey schools adopt the co operative process used by NSSAF. Armbrae, Sacred Heart and Halifax Grammar are looking at joining for this season. This is for Metro League only.

 

 Eleven for. Four against. One abstain.

Motion Carried

 

7. REGIONAL DIRECTOR'S REPORT

 

Thank you to all people involved in basketball leagues and regionals for accommodating gym times and schedules. Thank you to AG MacRae and Melina MacNeil for Curling. To Derek Nichols for skiing and Dan Rae and Zeno MacDonald for snowboarding. Metro is getting a new web page. Track and field dates are May 16th and 17th for city, 18th and 19th for county. Regionals are 25th and 26th. Rain dates are 20th metros and 27th for regionals.

 

8. COORDINATOR’S REPORTS

 

Boys Hockey - HW: Mike Smeltzer/Frank Hubley

Mike passed around three proposals for Spring Workshop NSSAF. All three of these proposals are being implemented now in the Metro league.  Email has gone out to all schools involved in regionals this weekend at Sackville Arena.

 

Girls Hockey- JLI: David Algee

All has gone well. We are waiting for one more game to complete all games this season. I will report on the league when everything is done.

 

Wrestling- LOCK: Steve Wilcox

All went well. 219 matches, many more Juniors than in the past. Coaches should be aware of the deadlines for getting wrestlers in. Only two classes in wrestling Junior and Senior.

 

Boys Basketball – DHS : Anton Berry A note from Anton: Season and playoffs finished off well. Congrats to all the school on a hard played regular season. The playoffs were exciting. The all-star game will be held at Dartmouth High on Wednesday, March 10th at 6pm.

 

Next year, the league WILL be tiered. I am currently working on a playoff format which rewards the bottom tiered team that wins their division.

 

Other suggested possibilities for next year:

May add Citadel JV to the regular season next year. They will play in the bottom tiered division and not play in Div 1 playoffs ala Millwood.

 

Would Millwood, Eastern Shore, JL Isley, Citadel JV be interested in forming their own regular season league? 12 game regular season. 2 homes games and 2 away games vs each team.

 

Will be working with MABO to improve the quality of refereeing. Will address the quality if refereeing for playoff games.

 

Lastly, Coaching etiquette will be address next season. There is too much yelling during games by the coaches towards the referees. Way too many technicals assessed.  Furthermore, there have been times when coaches have ran up the score purposely by leaving their starters in vs the opposing team's bench when the game has already been decided.

 

Suspensions will be given for to coaches if they have been found to purposely run up the score. This must be suggested by the opposing coach and then confirmed by the 2-3 referees that refereed the game.

 

When a Coach accumulates 3 technical fouls during the season, they will be assessed a one game suspension. This resets when playoffs begin.

 

 

Girls Basketball – GRAM : Shane Joseph/Laurie Girdwood

All went well.

 

Boys J.V. BasketballCPA/SOMM :  Jodi Joudrey/Paul Wozney and Graham Carter

Coaches need to submit their scores more consistently. All went well.

 

Girls J.V Basketball – SH : Anette Sherlock

All went well. Some small issues, were worked out in the end.

 

Curling - SJA/HW : Scott Pellerine/ Melina McNeil, Mike Smeltzer/AG McRae

All went well.

 

Skiing - CH: Amanda LeBlanc/ Derrek Nicholls

ADs will be kept in the loop. All went well.

 

Snowboarding - AUB/CIT: Erica Ens, Dan Ray/Jordan Murphy, Zeno MacDonald

All went well.

           

Badminton (County/Regional) - LOCK: Steve Wilcox

County's April 6th intermediate and 7th  Senior at Lockview. Regionals are April12th

 

Badminton City - SH : Anette Sherlock

April 6th, 7th at Citadel.

           

Boys Rugby - CH: Amanda LeBlanc/Steve Lenihan

Meeting will be some time after March Break.

 

Girls Rugby -  CIT: Jordan Murphy

Meeting was last Tuesday. All went well, some amendments will be made and I will send the information out to everyone. Not many changes from last year.

 

Indoor Field Hockey - DART: Anton Berry/ Erin Schaus

Schedule has been sent out.

 

Field Lacrosse - SJA: Scott Pellerine/Brendan Smithson

2016 Nova Scotia High School Field Lacrosse

 

Schools will be divided up by school board (this allows for less travel)

Running the season for the month of May plan to end by June 1st.  (In hopes of limiting conflicts with box tournament and making the season more compact)

Officials have had an increase in fees, but we hope to keep the league fees similar to last season at $500 (but will have more update in future meetings)

Will continue to work around other sport schedules were possible

Games will be played during the week last season was run 4 - 6pm (which we plan to continue so school time is not missed)

Will only have regional champions (play only within school board)

The league plans to continue supporting the school with field lacrosse specific equipment to help grow the game (goalie gear and long poles)

If you have any questions please feel free to contact myself emails are brendonlivestrong@hotmail.com or brendon.smithson@novascotia.ca or cell phone 902-880-7656

 

Box Lacrosse - HW: Mike Smeltzer

13 teams are interested. I am having some trouble getting floor time, looks like it may start April 19th. I will keep you posted as we find out information.

 

 

9. New Business

 

We discussed the possibility of tiering  or not tiering  some leagues for next season. We will look at a few formats of what does work. We will discuss this and come up with some templates for leagues next year. It is thought that we need to decide as a group what leagues tiering would be best for and what template works well.

 

 

 

 

 

Adjournment

 

Meeting Adjourned at  7:57 pm

 

Moved:    Erica E.

Seconded: Jordan M.   

 

Next meeting will be Monday April  18th at Halifax West 7pm.

 

If you have anything you wish to add to the agenda, please contact Sue Beazley or Scott Pellerine one week prior to the next meeting.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Scott Pellerine

 

Secretary