The Metro High School Athletic Association

Date: Monday April 18th 2016

Time: 7:00 p.m.

Location: Halifax West

http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/mhsaa/

 

Attendance:

Amanda LeBlanc

CHDHS

Scott Pellerine

SJA

David Algee

JLI

Anton Berry

DART

Shane Joseph

HGS

Susan Beazley

ARM

Donna Duggan

NSSAF

Jodi Joudrey

CPA

Jason Scott

FOUNT

Jean Francois Valade

CARR

Jordan Murphy

CIT

Bob Mayo

PA

Annette Sherlock

SH

Sean Kent

ES

Craig Janc

SHAM

Jill Jeffrey

SHS

 

 

Sends Regrets:      

Adam White

MW

Guy Fortin

SOMM

Erica Ens

AUB

Steve Wilcox

LVH

 

 

Mike Smeltzer

HWHS

 

                                                   

1.  OPENING

The meeting opened at 7:03p.m.

 

2.        INTRODUCTIONS:

Introductions were made and the meeting was chaired by Sue Beazley.

 

3.        APPROVAL OF MINUTES for February, 2016          

Moved:            Jill J.                  

Seconded:        Shane J.

 

Approved

 

 

 

4.  FINANCIAL REPORT

 

The Chair, Susan Beazley reported the following financial information:

           

                                Shares: $ 360.30

                                    Plan 24: $ 20.38

                                    Cheque: $ 13135.50

 

5. CORRESPONDENCE:

None

 

6. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:

 

We will further discuss how leagues will be tiered next year. Formats should be talked about before September.

 

 

7. REGIONAL DIRECTOR'S REPORT

 

Thanks to all who recently hosted a regional event. Next year we are hosting quite a few sports for Provincials especially in the fall.

 

Provincials for next year:

Soccer: D1 Girls, D2 Girls, D4 Boys

Volleyball: D4 Girls

Basketball:l D3 Boys, D4 Boys, JV Boys

Curling

Badminton

Table Tennis

Slo-pitch

Track & Field

 

Fair play award deadline is May 2nd. Coach education, please try to get coaches into the data base and have all of their information on line. We are doing well with this but we need to keep on top of it. The  NCCP concussion traning is on line for $15, if you are interested the link is:

 

We have not heard from many schools in metro this year for spring proposals, it would be nice to have more information from our schools going into these workshops. Proposals number are down. If you want a voice in what happens to regulations, you need to send them in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

8. COORDINATORíS REPORTS

 

Badminton (County/Regional) - LOCK: Steve Wilcox

Steve will send all information out to Adís this week.

 

Badminton (City) - SH : Annette Sherlock

All went well, thank you to Citadel for using the gym. The junior and intermediate day was long.

           

Boys Rugby - CH: Amanda LeBlanc/Steve Lenihan

Information was sent out today for the playoffs, it is a 12 team year. If teams are tied and a team forfeits a game they will immediately be dropped to the bottom of the tie breaker. The fee for the league is less than what was said at the coaches meeting. The unpaid fees will be approached soon with the schools that did not pay in previous years.

 

Girls Rugby -  CIT: Jordan Murphy

All is going well, website is up and a weekly update is being sent out. We will discuss the tiering system for next season in June, it should be done from the start. We discussed the possibility of having a practice work on the turf before the season starts.

 

Indoor Field Hockey - DART: Anton Berry/ Erin Schaus

All is well. Email all-stars to Erin before May 3rd. The all star game is May 11th.

 

Field Lacrosse - SJA: Scott Pellerine/Brendan Smithson

The fields were just booked this week with HRM from 4 - 6, game times will be starting at 4:30 to avoid early dismissals. Information will be sent out this week to all ADís to register teams if you have any questions just contact Brendon at brendonlivestrong@hotmail.com.

 

Box Lacrosse - HW: Mike Smeltzer

Incredible numbers this year with 14 teams, and 3 teams on a wait list. Also a reminder to those schools participating to bring mouth guards (they are mandatory), also hockey cage or cla lacrosse mask.

 

Track and Field - HW: Donna Duggan

16, 17 for City and 18,19 for county. Setting up on the Sunday before, please come out and help set up to make things easier. Regionals are May 25, 26. Trackie.ca is where we will sign up for our meets and all dates are there as well. Provincials are in Stellarton this year.

 

Table Tennis - AUB: Erica Ens

19th and 20th. Seem to have low numbers now. If anyone has a fast pitch girls softball team, please send to me by next Monday.

 

Boys and Girls Softball - MILL: Adam White

Email was sent out by Adam today about the schedule, please send me your coaches email and cell number. Dates are in the email.

 

 

 

 

 

9. New Business

 

Golf: Shane has contacted Grandview in Dartmouth, the fee will be $40. They are offering $25 for a practice round. We will book there next year for the metro and regional tournament. Shane will send out this information before next year.

 

Dave passed around the girls hockey final report for this season.

 

 

Adjournment

 

Meeting Adjourned at 7:50  pm

 

Moved:     Shane J.

Seconded:      Sean K.

 

Next meeting will be June 22nd at Scott Pellerineís house. 1pm. 75 Blue Forest Lane Hammonds Plains.

 

If you have anything you wish to add to the agenda, please contact Sue Beazley or Scott Pellerine one week prior to the next meeting.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Scott Pellerine

Secretary