Inspiration is a visual learning software
application. It allows you and the students to present information in a
graphical way. Studies show that with visual learning techniques "students
see how ideas are connected and realize how information can be grouped or
A. We will use Inspiration to display a brainstorm of 5-6 different
B. We will use Inspiration to display a brainstorm of 3 different models
of cars each manufacturer makes.
- Open the program. An icon will be on the desktop or find it
through the Start menu and Programs.
- When you open the program it automatically chooses a starting point for
you. You should see a shape with the text Main Idea as a title within the
shape. See below.
- The program also opens a toolbar that shows basic shapes. We will
look at this toolbar later.
- Let's rename the shape to "Manufacturers" by clicking in the
shape and highlighting the text and typing our new title.
- You can resize your
shape by selecting any of the red points and stretching the shape. It acts
just like a text box that you might use in any of the Microsoft
Applications: Word, PowerPoint, etc..
- Now we can get started!
Tools to use:
- Use the tool bar and the arrows to find and select a better
shape than the one given to represent our Brainstorm topic. Notice you can
scroll through the pages using the left and right arrows or you can select
the down arrow and you can select a topic.
- To add a manufacturer, use the Create Option on the top
task bar to add a new shape, select which direction you want the shape to
come from the main idea. You can drag and rearrange the shapes later. You
must have the main idea selected to have the shapes link with each other.
- To add more manufacturers select the main idea and
follow the above step until you have 5 different manufacturers.
- To change all the shapes for each manufacturer, select
each by clicking on the shape and holding down the shift key. Choose a new
- Since they are all selected, under Format , bold, resize
and select a new font.
- You may also want to change the colour of the shapes,
right click on any of the shapes and select Fill/Line and then choose
exactly what you would like to change.
- Next brainstorm 3 different models of vehicle for each
manufacturer and add them to your graphic.
- Use colour, font, and shapes to make your brainstorm
-You can see examples from the Inspiration website if you
want to get ideas.
Saving Your Work:
If you save your work, it saves it as an .INS file, a format
specifically for Inspiration. When you reopen the file you can edit it and
make your changes.
Your Work to other Programs:
You may want to use your chart in a PowerPoint presentation or place it in
a Word document .You have to save it in a different way. Under the File
menu, choose Export and select the format you want. Jpeg or Bitmap files
can easily be placed in other programs. This .INS file has just become a
picture file that you cannot edit.
Under the View Option on the top task bar, you may choose
Outline. Try it now. This may be of some use to you. You can even create
your own chart from this view.
Inspiration Site-Curriculum Integration
How I use it.
Students classify substances based on properties that they can observe
and create a classification chart using Inspiration. The chart can be
saved as a picture which is placed into a webpage that each lab group
View student's work